Property and Asset Division
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Property and Asset Division

Comprehensive Counsel For Property Division

Distributing your property and assets in a divorce is rarely easy, even in the simplest of cases. Whether you are preparing for a divorce or you are already at the property distribution stage, you need clear-minded advice on how to proceed.

Laura Robbins Law, L.L.C., can help you. At our law firm in State College, we provide comprehensive legal advice to guide you through every step of property division. We can help you negotiate a property distribution arrangement privately with your spouse, or, if necessary, proceed to court and advocate for a beneficial arrangement. If you need legal assistance with a high-asset divorce, we can represent you as well.

How Asset Distribution Works In Pennsylvania

When it comes to marital property, our state practices equitable distribution. This means that any property you acquired before marriage is your separate property to keep. However, anything that you and your spouse acquired while married must be distributed equitably between you in your divorce.

There are some exceptions to this rule, including:

  • Property given as a gift to one spouse
  • Assets inherited by one spouse
  • Property that a spouse purchased with money earned before the marriage

You will not necessarily have to give up half your assets, nor will you automatically receive half your spouse’s. Rather, the court will reach an arrangement that it considers equitable. When making its decision, the court uses factors such as:

  • The length of the marriage
  • Each partner’s current income and earning potential
  • Each partner’s ability to earn an income
  • Projected retirement benefits
  • The contributions that each spouse made to the marriage
  • The existence of a prenuptial or postnuptial document

Request A Consultation About Property Division

If you need comprehensive advice about how to divide your assets and property, schedule a consultation with attorneys from our firm. We will address your questions, comments and concerns. Call 814-753-4625 or send the office an email to schedule a consultation.