Signs you should seek sole custody of your children
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. child custody
  4.  » Signs you should seek sole custody of your children

Signs you should seek sole custody of your children

On Behalf of | Jun 3, 2024 | child custody

Deciding to seek sole custody of your children is a significant and often difficult decision. Understanding the signs that show this step is necessary can help protect your children’s well-being.

Parental instability

If the other parent exhibits instability, it may be a sign to seek sole custody. This instability can include frequent job changes, inconsistent living arrangements, or erratic behavior and mental health issues. Children need stability, as parental instability can hinder their development.

Substance abuse

Substance abuse is a major red flag. If the other parent struggles with alcohol or drug addiction, they may not be able to provide a safe and healthy environment for the children.

Neglect or abandonment

Neglect or abandonment by the other parent is a serious concern. If the other parent consistently fails to meet the children’s basic needs, such as food, shelter, and medical care, it may be necessary to seek sole custody.

Emotional or psychological harm

Exposure to emotional or psychological harm is another sign to consider. If the other parent engages in behavior that causes emotional distress or psychological harm to the children, such as verbal abuse or manipulation, seeking sole custody may be in their best interest.

Unfit living conditions

Living conditions that are unsafe or unfit can also justify seeking sole custody. If the other parent’s home environment poses risks, such as exposure to violence, unsanitary conditions, or dangerous individuals, it may be necessary to pursue sole custody to protect the children.

Protecting your children’s best interests is the primary goal, and that might mean filing for sole custody. If you feel that your child’s other parent isn’t doing what is best for your child, do not hesitate to petition the court for a modification.


FindLaw Network