Some people were made for marriage. They love stability, they like to spend time with their significant other and predictability and security bring them joy. Other people were not made for marriage — they are too self-focused, have money problems and they’re just bad at relationships.
Here are a few questions to gain useful information about whether your date could be “marriage material”:
- How often do you speak with your family? This question will tell you about your date’s ability to navigate family difficulties. Every family has its challenges, but some people are more interested in themselves and their own needs than trying to find a diplomatic solution to keep the family together. Someone who isn’t in regular touch with family might not be marriage material.
- Do you believe that “happily ever after” is possible? This question will bring up some good information about what your date’s concept of a relationship is — and whether he or she knows that they are not always perfect and require work.
- Are you married? You’d think your date would volunteer this information, but you’d be surprised.
- What do you like about your job? This will give you important information about your date’s relationship with his or her job. You’ll find out if he or she is insecure and unhappy because of work, whether he or she is a workaholic and other valuable info.
- What did you do for your last vacation? This will let you know a little bit about your date’s financial situation. If it’s an exotic vacation, don’t be shy to ask how he or she paid for it.
- How old are you, really? Another one of those questions you’d think people would honestly admit to; however, numerous people lie about their age and don’t think it’s a big deal.
- What brought an end to your last relationship? If this answer is full of blaming the other person, then consider it a red flag.
It’s hard to know if your new date is marriage material without having to learn the hard way many years down the line. Perhaps you’re realizing this now and you’re ready to start learning about divorce and whether the process is right for you.
Source: HuffPost, “9 Questions To Ask On A First Date, According To Divorce Lawyers,” Brittany Wong, accessed Feb. 16, 2018